William Roberts

William Roberts was a local shoemaker and cordwainer and served as chairman of the Parish Council for six years. Click on picture to enlarge. At the bottom of page is a history of William Roberts and his family.

William Roberts: A History

William Roberts

William Roberts (1850 – 1936) was a prominent figure in Marston.  Married to Elizabeth Carter he had eight daughters. He was born in one of the Church Cottages in Elsfield Road (since demolished).

He was a Member of the first Parish Council formed in 1894 gaining the most votes (39) and was later Chairman for 6 yrs. (Refer also to LINK). He was also Secretary of the Albany Lodge of the Manchester Unity of Odd Fellows, a benevolent society.

William Roberts’ main trade was a Shoemaker, more particularly a ‘Cordwainer’.  He made the shoes for his wife and family and would walk miles to deliver shoes to his customers.  He also was a Gardener, and drove a pony and trap, taking parishioners for shopping in Oxford.   He owned a little secluded garden in Back Lane which had a potting shed with paths edged with blue bull nosed bricks leading around a variety of apple trees.   At the far end was an array of Lily of the Valley which his daughters sold on Magdalen Bridge on May Morning.  It was sold in 1969 and now the site of a detached house at the end of Arlington Drive.

William Roberts moved with his wife Elizabeth and family to Rose Cottage (later called Rosebank) in Main Road (now 71 Oxford Road) in the early 1900’s.  which was left to Elizabeth by her brother Joseph Carteron his death (probably soon after 1911.).  The property was divided into three dwellings until 2003 when they were converted into two. One retained the name of Rosebank and the other named Shoemakers, as that part had the workshop where the shoes were made.  A pair of shoemakers ‘pliers’ are the only item remaining, now in the possession of the author.  These had a dual purpose with the hammer head for hobnailing.

 He and his wife sang in the choir, and with his father and brothers, rang the church bells, a service which the author also gave to the church years later. He also tolled the tenor bell for funerals.   At the time, there was an earlier balcony to the one which now exists. This was where the church orchestra played.  There were two clarinets, and a bassoon.  One clarinet was played by Elizabeth’s father, and the other by William’s father.  One was given to the church by Betty Deam when the other one was stolen from the glass case where it used to be mounted on the organ when it was in the side wing (The present whereabouts is yet to be located). William played the violin which now belongs to the author of this documentary.

One of his daughter’s, Margaret died when she was 18.  She worked as an assistant in the village school. She is buried with the elder sister Florence in the Church yard.  Another daughter Mary later ran the Post Office where Bessie Matilda also worked and delivered the Post, both featuring on the front cover of the “The Changing Faces of Marston”, Book One.

William and Elizabeth Roberts are buried in St. Nicholas Churchyard with Mary Ransom. The gravestone is quite visible, but the curb stones were destroyed without the family approval a few years ago, to make way for the internment of Ashes of others.

There are several descendants of the Roberts family living in the village today.

Personal knowledge, owned documents and other Information collated by Noel  D. Deam (Great Grandson ).

 Photographs – Copies taken from originals owned by Noel Deam


Joseph Carter was a brick maker at the brickworks in New Marston which he probably part owned with Mark Carter.  He also owned three cottages in Ferry Road, New Marston which he left to his niece Ann Edwards.      Refer to “The Changing Faces of Marston” Book One p87.

Pictures A to Z

Alan Court
Allotments Mill Lane Pictures
Back Lane
Bell Ringers
Best Kept Village
Bishops Farm
Boults Farm
• Boults Lane
• Boults Lane Recreational Ground
Brasenose Cottage
Bricklayers Arms
Cannons Farm & Field
Carter Estate
Church Hall
Church Pictures
Churches Together 2016
Churches Together 2018
Churches Together 2021
Colthorne Farm
Coronation 2023
Court Place Farm
Cross Cottage
Cross Farm
Cumberlege Close
Cycle Track Day 2019
Diamond Jubilee
Elsfield Road
Family Fun Day 2019
Fête 2013
Fête 2017
Fête 2018
Fireworks 2015
Fireworks 2019
Fireworks 2022
Fireworks 2023
Fir Tree Cottage
Gurden Family
Half Marathon 2015
Half Marathon 2016
Haynes Family
Headington Road Runners 2013
Historic Houses
Jack Russell Pub
Little Acreage
Manor House
Market 2023
Marston Paddock
Memorial Gardens
Mill Lane Recreational Ground
Mortimer Hall
Mortimer Hall Open Day
Mortimer Hall Recreational Ground
New Marston Archive Pictures
Oak Lodge
Open Day 2010
Orchard Triangle
OxClean 2008
OxClean 2009
OxClean 2010
OxClean 2011
OxClean 2012
OxClean 2013
OxClean 2014
OxClean 2015
OxClean 2016
OxClean 2017
OxClean 2018
OxClean 2019
OxClean 2020
OxClean 2021
OxClean 2022
• OxClean 2023
Oxford Road
Parish Council
Pavilion Fires
Pavilion Opening 2017
Playday 2009
Post Office
Primrose Cottage
Pyracantha House
Red Lion Pub
Remembrance Sunday 2020
Remembrance Sunday 2021
Remembrance Sunday 2022
Remembrance Sunday 2023
Rimmer Close
River Cherwell
School Pictures
Silver Jubilee
Swan School
The Elms
Three Horseshoes
Victoria Arms
Ward Webb Families
Wentworth House
White Hart Pub
William Roberts

Contact Us

Tim Cann


Old Marston Parish Council



Email: clerk

Tel: 01865 203 139

About Us

Your local Parish Council, fighting for and serving the community of Old Marston in Oxford.