White Hart Pub

The White Hart pub along Oxford Road is now housing. Click on picture to enlarge.

At the bottom of the page is a history of the pub.

History of White Hart Pub

1

The 1605 map of Marston by Thomas Langdon of All Souls College, and later with Corpus Christi College, shows a building just where the White Hart now stands today. In fact this is the only building shown. Later, one Nicholas Hore is described as living in a large house, which could well be this building. It is also said that in 1785 there was a group of cottages on the site. Whether these were the old building adapted or new ones in the same place is not clear. Whatever it was, the building was converted into a pub in 1801.

 

In 1817, one John Parker, with others bought the building called “The White Hart” in conjunction with other pieces of land and buildings. He certainly lived there in 1843, but unfortunately went bankrupt in 1848 and his rights and responsibilities were taken over by others.

 

In 1851, Thomas Castle was the landlord. He couldn’t have been there long, but was obviously regarded in high esteem in that he was on the vestry committee, an honour only given to the larger landowners generally.

 

The Evans family ran it for several years later in the century along with a dairy. Moving into the 20th Century, two generations of the Hayle family ran it from 1926 to 1972.

 

After 200 years serving the village of Marston, the pub has now been converted into two apartments with houses built on the land at the back. Despite the security fences, items were still being stolen from the site whilst the houses were being built. I wonder if they had similar problems when they were building the pyramids?

2

The White Hart is Grade II listed (ref. 1485/147). It dates from the mid- to late seventeenth century, and is built of limestone rubble with a plain-tile roof. The bay on the far left was added later, probably in the eighteenth century.

The building was originally a house belonging to members of the Croke family. It was converted into a pub in 1801, and was owned by Morrell’s.

At the time of the 1881 census Alfred Evans (42) who was living at the White Hart was described as a dairyman as well as a publican. With him were his wife Clara, his daughters Emily (17) and Lucy (15), and his son Arthur (15). Alfred (now described as a farmer and publican) was still at the pub twenty years later in 1901. Still living with Alfred and his wife was their son Arthur with his wife and three children, and they were also looking after another two of their grandchildren. Arthur eventually took over the pub.

The White Hart ceased to be a pub in 2003 and has been converted into flats, with more flats built in its two large fields behind

 

Some landlords of the White Hart

  • 1800: Joseph Bleay
  • 1847: William Mills
  • 1852: Thomas Castle
  • 1854: Edward Capel (also coal dealer)
  • 1863: Mrs Hannah Evans
  • 1869, 1876: Mrs Anne Evans
  • 1881, 1883, 1901, 1913: Alfred Evans
  • 1914: Arthur Evans
  • 1928, 1935: Arthur Hayle
  • 1943, 1947, 1971: Lowden E.H. Hayle
  • 1974–1984: L.F. Long
  • 1984–1987: J. C. Pearce
  • !987–1990: P. A. Lafford
  • 1990–1996: B. King
  • 1996: P. & T. Hargreaves
  • 1996–1998+: T. Clayton
Pictures A to Z

Alan Court
Allotments Mill Lane Pictures
Almonds
Back Lane
Bell Ringers
Best Kept Village
Bishops Farm
Boults Farm
• Boults Lane
• Boults Lane Recreational Ground
Boundary
Bradlands
Brasenose Cottage
Bricklayers Arms
Bypass
Cannons Farm & Field
Carter Estate
Cemetery
Church Hall
Church Pictures
Churches Together 2016
Churches Together 2018
Colthorne Farm
Court Place Farm
Cross Cottage
Cross Farm
Cumberlege Close
Cycle Track Day 2019
Diamond Jubilee
Elsfield Road
Family Fun Day 2019
Fête 2013
Fête 2017
Fête 2018
Fireworks 2015
Fireworks 2019
Fir Tree Cottage
Gurden Family
Half Marathon 2015
Half Marathon 2016
Haynes Family
Headington Road Runners 2013
Historic Houses
Jack Russell Pub
Little Acreage
Manor House
Memorial Gardens
Mill Lane Recreational Ground
Mortimer Hall
Mortimer Hall Recreational Ground
New Marston Archive Pictures
Oak Lodge
Open Day 2010
Orchard Triangle
OxClean 2008
OxClean 2009
OxClean 2010
OxClean 2011
OxClean 2012
OxClean 2013
OxClean 2014
OxClean 2015
OxClean 2016
OxClean 2017
OxClean 2018
OxClean 2019
OxClean 2020
OxClean 2021
Oxford Road
Paddock
Parish Council
Pavilion Fires
Pavilion Opening 2017
Playday 2009
Post Office
Primrose Cottage
Pyracantha House
Red Lion Pub
Rimmer Close
River Cherwell
School Pictures
Silver Jubilee
Swan School
The Elms
Three Horseshoes
Underpass
Victoria Arms
Village
Ward Webb Families
Wentworth House
White Hart Pub
William Roberts