Timeline of Marston
Below is a brief timeline of the history of Marston courtesy of Stephanie Jenkins of headington.org.uk. You can also download a document of the information below by following this link.
|BC||There have been two Palaeolithic finds in Marston, but the Romans do not appear to have had a settlement there|
|AD 1086||Domesday Book: Marston (then a hamlet of Headington) was too small to be mentioned|
|AD 1100||Until this time, all the low ground of Marston is believed to have been under water. Old Marston village was now an island in the Cherwell. It had its own chapel, which was dependent on Headington. It was part of the Royal Manor at Headington (which also owned Binsey and Osney).|
First written occurrence of the name of Marston. Its chapel is referred to as a church for the first time, and by the end of the twelfth century it was dedicated to St Nicholas.
Henry I gave the chapel of Marston to the canons of St. Frideswide’s.
The chancel arch and seven arches of the nave survive which suggests a considerable community cultivating surrounding fields – workable by ditching and draining.
The tenant had rights of commoning cattle and cutting furze, fern and dead wood.
In this year the population of Marston consisted of the Vicar, two freeholders (the miller and a man appearing to live at Court Place) and 46 unfree tenants.
First mention of a Marston ferry.
Hugh de Molendino held a mill at Marston. (Hundred Rolls).
There was a mill at the end of Mill Lane near Sescut Farm which would disappear and re-appear in the records up to the 1400s.
There was a three course system of husbandry: year one wheat, year two oats, beans, barley or peas and year three fallow.(Previously one year a crop and then one year fallow.)
There were three fields: Sutton, Colterne and Marsh.
Brookfield lay between the village and Headington Hill.
Court Place was the demesne or home farm.
|AD 1349||An acre of the lot meadows of Marston was given to Oriel College|
|AD 1451||The benefices of Headington and Marston were united by a papal bull, as the two parishes were too poor to maintain two vicars|
|AD 1458||Marston’s King’s Mill Meadows (42 acres) passed from the Hospital of St John to the newly-founded Magdalen College|
|AD 1520||Beginning of enclosure in Marston: Magdalen College began to buy out the common rights in its meadows from the other tenants of the Manor|
|AD 1520||Brasenose College acquired the land of the Hay family in Court Place, and its holding in Marston grew to over 100 acres by 1800|
|AD 1529||Corpus Christi College acquired two half-yardlands and one quarter in Marston|
|AD 1605||The amount of arable land in the parish of Marston amounted to c.600 acres, or nearly half the whole area|
|AD 1637||A Vicar was instituted in Marston on the representation of the Crown, and Marston returned to being a separate parish from Headington|
|AD 1645||Unton Croke (who had inherited land in Marston through his marriage to Anne Hore) had to make room in his house for Fairfax’s headquarters when the parliamentary forces laid siege to Oxford. Oliver Cromwell visited the house, and it was used for the meeting of the commissioners from the two sides when Oxford surrendered|
|AD 1653||The surviving registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials of the Church of St Nicholas in Marston date from this time (except for marriages between 1753 and 1814)|
|AD 1661||Marston was granted 90 acres of land in compensation for its lost rights resulting from the disafforestation of Shotover and Stow Wood, then gift of fuel and then money (Forest Coal), dispensed by church wardens until 1960s.|
|AD 1691||Hill Farm, Marston built|
|AD 1730||About this time Marston became “a village where no one lived who pretended to the rank of gentleman” (Victoria County History)|
|AD 1801||First census. Marston had 45 dwelling-houses and a population of 264. Six pauper families were accommodated in Unton Croke’s old house|
|AD 1815||The Revd Jack Russell bought a bitch in Marston which he regarded as the perfect fox terrier|
|AD 1816||Evidence of a privately owned school for 20 children existing in Marston|
|AD 1830||Marston village cross was taken down and the material used for mending the roads, and the churchyard cross was taken down and used to mend the church wall|
|AD 1831||Population of Marston: 364|
|AD 1851||St Nicholas’s Church School for 145 children of all ages opens in Marston, with running costs borne by the Vicar (Canon Gordon) and that National Society|
|AD 1841||Population of Marston: 396|
|AD 1868||Boundary of Oxford parliamentary boundary extended to include 24 acres of Marston|
|AD 1871||Population of Marston 881. First evidence of nonconformity in the area, when Congregationalists established a mission hall called the Workman’s Hall (later used as the British Legion Hall)|
|AD 1877||First house built in New Marston village (William Street)|
|AD 1885||Marston was added to the area supplied with water by Oxford Corporation|
|AD 1888||A mission church (formerly two cottages) was opened on the Marston Road to serve the growing population of New Marston|
|AD 1911||A Chapel of ease of the Church of St Nicholas in Old Marston was built in Ferry Road|
|AD 1920||Marston was connected to the city sewage system|
|AD 1927||New Marston Church of England Primary School opened in temporary premises, moving the following year to a permanent building on land presented by Mrs G.H. Morrell|
|AD 1929||New Marston (216 acres) was taken into the Oxford city boundary|
|AD 1932||Construction of Northern by-pass brings first road of importance to run through Marston|
|AD 1938||Oxford City Corporation had built 165 homes in New Marston by this year|
|AD 1939||Milham Ford School moved from Cowley Place to the Marston Road|
|AD 1940||West Ham School was evacuated from London to New Marston|
|AD 1940||Main Road, New Marston, was renamed Marston Road and renumbered to follow on with the numbering of Marston Road, St Clement’s|
|AD 1948||New Marston Junior Mixed & Infant School opened in Copse Lane|
|AD 1950||Another 70 council houses were built in New Marston from this year|
|AD 1954||St Nicholas County Primary School opened in a new building, and the old church school of St Nicholas became the village hall|
|AD 1955||The Church of St Michael and All Angels on the Marston Road was consecrated as a chapel of ease to St Andrew’s Church in Old Headington, and New Marston Church of England School was renamed St Michael’s.|
|AD 1956||Brasenose College sold Court Place 1956 and Colthorne (Grange) Farm when the Marston Ferry Road was built in 1972 as it was no longer economically viable. the also owned land behind Brasenose Cottages.|
|AD 1963||The Church of St Michael and All Angels became the centre of a new parish taken from the old parishes of Marston, Headington, and St Clement’s|
|AD 1971||Marston Ferry Road opened, providing the first road-bridge between Marston and North Oxford|
|AD 2003||Completion of a return to a two-tier system of education: Marston Middle School and Milham Ford Girls’ School closed down|
|AD 2005||Oxford Brookes University School of Health and Social Care opened on the former Milham Ford site on the Marston Road|
Your local Parish Council, fighting for and serving the community of Old Marston in Oxford.