Street Name Meanings in Marston

Below are the origins of the names of the streets in New and Old Marston and some nearby. There are some whose meanings are unknown.

Blank
Old Marston Street Names
  • Arlington Drive: Henry Bennet, first earl of Arlington (bap. 1618, d. 1685) entered the service of George, Lord Digby, secretary of state to Charles I, in 1643.
  • Ashlong Road: Local medieval field called Ass Long Furlong in 1605,  Ashlong Furlong in 1613 and given name in 1940. (In 1613 (clark) Ashlong Furlong (Ass Land Furlong 1605 Corpus Map))
  • Barns Hay: Named by Myra Haynes when farmyard at Cross Farm was sold.
  • Beechy Avenue: Named after the Beech hedge that was at the end fof the lane that has now been built upon.
  • Boults Close Named after the farm at the end of Boult’s Lane, farmed by the Haynes family. Was originally spelt ‘Bolts Lane’.
  • Boults Lane: Named after the farm at the end of Boult’s Lane, farmed by the Haynes family. (BOULTS FARM (6″) cf Bolts Meadow and Ground c. 1840 TA.)
  • Broughtons Close: The Broughton family farmed Court Place Farm – named 1970s. One of them served as parish clerk in 1860s.
  • Cannons Field: The Cannon family farmed in Marston in the nineteenth century.
  • Cavendish Drive: Charles Cavendish (1620–1643), royalist army officer.
  • Cherwell Drive: Named after the River Cherwell that flows nearby. Cherwell has a celtic origin. ‘Cher’ has uncertain origins, ‘well’ means ‘stream’. In 681 AD spelt Ceruelle, in 864 Cearwellan and in 1221-6 named Cherlewelle. Street named officially in June 1947.
  • Church Lane: Road runs alongside the church.
  • Clays Close: After local field spelt Great & Little Clay Close in 1840. (Great and Little Clay Close, College Leys (Colledge Leys 1709-10 Bodl.))
  • Cotswold Crescent: Named after the Cotswold Hills on the suggestion of the Estate Developer.
  • Cromwell Close: Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), lord protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland. Came to meet Fairfax and discuss siege tactics at the Manor House (now 15/17 Mill Lane), Marston. He also observed the movements in Royalist Oxford from the church tower.
  • Cumberlege Close: The Revd. H.A. Cumberlege was Vicar of Marston 1899–1904.
  • Dents Close: Named after Doreen Dent who married Oliver Haynes.
  • Elms Drive: After graceful local elms before Dutch Elms disease massacred so many.
  • Elsfield Road: After Elsfield village where road origionally led. Means ‘Elesa’s Land from the Wood’, spelt Esefelde in 1086, Elshfyld in 1232 and Elsfeld in 1335. Street named 1955.
  • Ewin Close: unknown.
  • Fairfax Avenue: Thomas Fairfax, third Lord Fairfax of Cameron (1612–1671), a Parliamentarian who besieged Oxford and had his headquarters at Marston. Street named 1935.
  • Fane Road: Mildmay Fane, second earl of Westmorland (1602–1666), a Royalist who turned Parliamentarian. Also John Fane, died 1824, MP of Oxford for 8 successive parliaments.
  • Gordon Close: Revd Richard Gordon (1804–77), Vicar of Marston from 1849.
  • Harlow Way: Professor Vincent Harlow, who lived at 14 Oxford Road.
  • Haynes Road: The Haynes family owned Cross Farm, named after Thomas Murray Haynes, died 1974 – lifelong resident of Old Marston and a building worker.
  • Horseman Close: Name of local family. Means ‘horse way’ from local old field spelt The Horseleys in 1557, Horse Leas in 1605 Horse Leys in c1840.
  • Jessops Close: After local field.
  • Lewell Avenue: unknown.
  • Little Acreage: After the large house that stood here and was later demolished.
  • Lodge Close: Named after Olive Lodge, one of the first women to be made a Deaconess (at Marston on 1 November 1972).
  • Marsh Lane Means ‘Marshy Lane’, similar derivation to nearby village of Marston. Spelt ‘The Mershe Dyche’ in 1550, ‘The Common Marshe’ and ‘Marshe Dich Furlong’ both in 1605. Street named in 1940. (MARSH LANE (6″) cf the Mershe Ditch 1550 clark, the Comon Marshe, Marsh Dick Furlong 1605 Corpus Map. cf the first example of the parish name.)
  • Mill Lane: Named after the water mill that probably stood near to where Sescut Farm now stands. It became two roads when the by-pass was built.
  • Mortimer Drive: The Revd J.H. Mortimer was Vicar of Marston 1905–1951, famous for playing hymn on church bells each night.
  • Nicholas Avenue: Sir Edward Nicholas (1593–1669), Secretary-of-State to Charles I.
  • Oxford Road: Once old road from Oxford to Marston, now just from Old Marston to Old Marston Road.
  • Park Way: unknown.
  • Ponds Lane: Named after the ponds which used to surround the church, and the streams which ran along the sides of this lane.
  • Raymund Road: Raymund Haynes, who lived and farmed at Cross Farm, Old Marston for many years during the 19th/20th centuries.
  • Rimmer Close: The Revd Paul Rimmer was Vicar of Marston from 1959 to 1990.
  • Rippington Drive: The Rippingtons were the biggest landowners in Marston in the nineteenth century.
  • Rylands: Named after family of bakers who live in Marston during 17th century.
  • Salford Road Unknown origin. The word Salford possibly comes from ‘Salt Ford’ which is probably a crossing across a stream, and possibly along a trade route for salt.
  • Southcroft: Originally Succroft, a local field.
  • St Nicholas Park: Unknown, possibly after parish church which is nearby.
  • The Butts: A shooting range, originally for arrows and later for guns, especially during the Civil War.
  • The Link: Road linking North and South parts of Carter Estate.
  • Wards Mobile Home Park: Named after the family that own the site.
  • Windsor Crescent: Believed to have been named after the Windsor fish and chip shop in Cherwell Drive. When the parish council were discussing street names for the new estate, someone had just arrived from the shop and suggested the name.
New Marston Street Names
  • Croft Close: Named after house called the Croft, which became Milham Ford girls school. It was built by Alfred Waterhouse in nearby Pullens Lane.
  • Croft Road: Named after house called the Croft, which became Milham Ford girls school. It was built by Alfred Waterhouse in nearby Pullens Lane. Street named 1936.
  • Edgeway Road: After old way along the edge of the River Cherwell. Street named 1930.
  • Farmer Place: John Farmer (1835–1901), Organist at Balliol College. Named 1939.
  • Ferry Lane: Led to Cherwell punt ferry from Marston to Holywell. Named 1890-1.
  • Ferry Road Led to Cherwell punt ferry from Marston to Holywell. Named 1930.
  • Harberton Mead: Possibly after local Harberton House. Street named 1938 and officially October 1960. As a private road was Harberton Road in c1944 and officially January 1949.
  • Hayes Close: William Hayes (c.1708–1777), Professor of Music at Oxford 1742 to 1777, and his son Philip Hayes (bap. 1738, d. 1797), Professor from 1777.
  • Heather Place: William Heather (c.1563–1627), founder of the Heather Professorship of Music at Oxford. Named in 1937.
  • Hugh Allen Crescent Sir Hugh Percy Allen (1869–1946), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1918 to 1946. Named 1938.
  • John Garne Way: Unknkown.
  • Marston Road: Named after Marston village. Means ‘village on marshy ground’ spelt Mersce in 1050, Mersttune in c1069 and Mershetona in 1402. Street named c1874.
  • Moody Road: The Revd. Nicholas James Moody was Rector of St Clement’s Church from 1821 to 1858. Officially named 1860.
  • Nicholson Road: Richard Nicholson (bap. 1563, d. 1638/9), Choirmaster and Organist at Magdalen College, First Oxford Professor of Music 1626-39. Street named c1948.
  • Old Marston Road: After route to Old Marston. Named in 1955.
  • Ouseley Close: Sir Frederick Arthur Gore Ouseley, second baronet (1825–1889), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1855 to 1889. Named 1936.
  • Parry Close: Sir (Charles) Hubert Hastings Parry (1848–1918), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1900 to 1908.
  • Peacock Road: Named November 1960 Probably named after Mark Beauchamp Peacock the elder and younger, local landowners.
  • Prichard Road: Named November 1960. Alderman Mrs Mabel Prichard was a governor of Milham Ford School.
  • Purcell Road: Daniel Purcell (c.1670–1717), Organist at Magdalen College.
  • Stainer Place: Sir John Stainer (1840–1901), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1889 to 1900. Named 1936.
  • Taverner Place: John Taverner (c.1490–1545), Organist at Christ Church. Named 1937.
  • Weldon Road: John Weldon (1676/7–1736), Organist at New College. Officially named 1948.
  • Westrup Close: Sir Jack Allan Westrup (1904–1975), Professor of Music at Oxford.
  • William Street: Possibly connected to King’s Mill (on east side of Cherwell nearby). Named c1878
Nearby Streets
  • Colterne Close: Means ‘colts corner’. Named after local field spelt Colterne Fielde in 1605, Colthorne Field in 1710 and Little and Great Colton Hills in c1840. Street named in 1940.
  • Colterne Close: Means ‘colts corner’. Named after local field spelt Colterne Fielde in 1605, Colthorne Field in 1710 and Little and Great Colton Hills in c1840. Street named in 1940.
  • Copse Lane: After local small wood or spinney. Street named in 1935 and officially in March 1950.
  • Crotch Crescent: After Dr William Crotch (1775-1848), university professor of Music 1797-1847, and organsist at Christ Church 1790-c1807. Regarded as the highest musical authority of the age. Street named 1937.
  • Hadow Road: After Miss G.E. Hadow (1875-1940), student of Somerville 1900-3, Tutor at Lady Margaret Hall 1906-11, Principle and Vice-Principle of Women’s/Student Societies 1928-40. Street named 1939 when spelt Huddow Road.
  • Headley Way: Means ‘Way to Hedena’s Clearing’ or Headington. Spelt Hedleye in 1605, Head Leys in c1840. Street named 1938.
  • Lynn Close: After suggestion by Estate Develpers N. Beake Ltd. Officially named 1966.
  • Marston Ferry Road: A new link road (finished 1976) named after line-punt ferry 200 yards to North below Victoria Arms, across River Cherwell. Western section was a lane in 1832. Became Marston Ferry Road in 1905.
  • Pullens Lane: After Dr Josiah Pullen, who died 1714 and planted a tree in 17th century in lane to commemorate his favourite walk from Magdalen to Headington Hill. He went twice a day each journey taking half an hour. He was also vicar of St Peter-in-the-East. The tree became a famous landmark to travellers. Spelt Pullens Tree in 1797 and Joe Pullens Tree in 1805. Street named 1930.